The Children’s Shelter
Address: 294 William Street, Carleton Place, Ontario
The first Children’s Aid Society in Ontario was founded in 1891 in Toronto. It was 1920 before a Children’s Aid Society was formed in Lanark County, and this was in Perth. It would be 1924 before a children’s shelter would be established in Carleton Place.
Various members of the extended family of Abraham and Mary Morphy, under the leadership of Mrs John B. Morphy (Margaret), took in hundreds of local children in need over the years. This meant that, not only did these children receive the help and protection they needed, they did so in their own community and were no longer sent away.
The house that once served as the Carleton Place Children’s Shelter still stands, looking very much as it did at the time, but is now a private residence.
The Erma Roe House
Address: 66 Queen Street North, Carleton Place, Ontario
Built in 1887 and inhabited by the Millikin family for almost six decades, the house then became home to Erma Roe, a ‘spinster’ who worked at the nearby Bates and Innes mill and supplemented her income by renting part of her home to tenants, for almost three decades.
Local newspaperman Ross Davis and his wife Ruth started their life as a couple here, as did a young couple and their newborn son, the Willoughbys. A registered nurse who worked at the nearby Carleton Place hospital (Miss Sadie Dowdall) and the widow of a Bates and Innes accountant (Mrs Etha Steet) also found shelter under Erma Roe’s roof.
In time, the house was again occupied by families, and it grew new additions to accommodate modern lifestyles.
Address: Moffatt and McRostie Streets, Carleton Place, Ontario
On 14 January 1876 Mr. George A. Cornell purchased lots 1, 2 and 3 in section N of Carleton Place from John McRostie and William Moffatt at a cost of $375.00 for each lot.(7) The lots are located on the south side of McRostie Street with frontage on the Mississippi River. In 1876, Mr. Cornell had a large two-story brick house constructed on the river at Moffatt Street. The year 1876 is engraved in a brick near the north-west corner of the front wall about five feet from the ground. Engraved by hand on a nearby brick is F. Cornell 1884, probably the work of George’s son Francis, who would have turned seventeen in June of that year.
The house has a roof in the mansard style of architecture with arched dormer windows, symmetrically place over the windows in the exterior brick walls. The Cornell house has a solid and inviting appearance enhanced by its location on the river. The abundant use of wood, so readily available at the time for dressing of doorways, baseboards and ceiling trim, enhances the interior appearance of the house. The plastered ceiling in the grand salon is detailed with an exquisite ceiling centerpiece. There is wood trim moulding around the perimeter about a foot from the walls. However, the delicate balusters and rounded banister of the staircase suffers somewhat from a fragile appearance when viewed next to the massive baseboards and doorframes. Peter M. Cornell who enjoyed sliding down the banister as a boy remembers his mother’s warnings that he might damage it under his weight. His mother’s warnings did not deter him and he never did have an accident or cause damage to the railing.